Search magnifier
Book your open day

About the Otter Gallery

The Otter Gallery is home to an extensive collection of art that includes works across all disciplines. Free admission. 

The collection was started in 1947 when Eleanor Hipwell, head of art for the Bishop Otter College, acquired three paintings from an exhibition held at the Victoria and Albert Museum in order to display them in the University.

Shortly afterwards, Miss K E Murray was appointed as a new Principal. Along with Eleanor Hipwell's successor, Sheila McCririck, Miss Murray pursued a determination to develop a collection of contemporary art that would inspire and inform the students of the University.

The acquisition of quality work with inadequate monetary resources was a demonstration of Miss Murray's persuasive persistence. 

Their support was vital in helping to promote acceptance of an acquisitions policy that included controversial and challenging pieces such as Patrick Heron's Black and White.

As the collection grew, it was displayed throughout the university for the benefit of students and staff.

Some of the outstanding pieces in the collection may be seen in annual exhibitions in the Otter Gallery and are on display as "Picture of the Month" in the Learning Resources Centre.

From time to time items are on loan for display in regional, national and international galleries.