Search magnifier
Clearing Hotline: 01243 816001

Mitigating Circumstances

Students will be able to apply for mitigating circumstances online at

Please refer to the Online Guide for submission on mitigating circumstances claims.

What are mitigating circumstances?

Mitigating Circumstances are serious events which impact upon your performance and must be:

Severe: the event or circumstance must have had a serious impact on assessment performance Unexpected: In most cases the student must have had no prior knowledge that a particular event would occur

Unpreventable: there must have been no reasonable steps that the student could have taken to prevent the event or circumstance from occurring

Relevant: the event or circumstances must have occurred at the time of or during the period immediately leading up to the assessment

Corroborated: the claim must meet the requirements for independent documentary evidence outlined in this FAQ Document.

Please refer to the FAQs before submitting your claim

How to Apply:

Apply for mitigating circumstances online at Student SONAR Mitigating Circumstances form. We encourage all applications to be completed online. However, in the unlikely event you’re unable to complete an online application please email to request a form, or collect a hard copy from Academic Registry, SIZ, or you can also collect one and receive further guidance from AQSS, our office is up the stairs opposite Academic Registry.

Once your online form is complete please check that you have provided a valid email address, which you check regularly, contact number and address (please update your contact details on SONAR if necessary as the Board of Examiners will use this address to contact you). It is also important to make sure you have included the correct dates of assessment and modules codes and type of assessment (eg. Exam/essay etc.) on your claim form (contact your programme if you need any guidance with this).

Finally please make sure you have included your independent supporting evidence to corroborate your claim (see pages 4-7 for supporting evidence related information). If you’re applying by hard copy, AQSS has a locked post-box at the top of the stairs before you enter the AQSS Department where you can post your claim.

For advice and guidance on claiming mitigating circumstances please contact:

Rachael Clausen (term time only) or Sophie Butler:

Academic Quality and Standards Service

Room D211 Bishop Otter Campus

University of Chichester

College Lane


West Sussex

PO19 6PE

Rachael Clausen - Tel: 01243 816074

Sophie Butler -  Tel: 01243 816021


You can return the claim form by:

Hand: Our office is based at the Bishop Otter Campus in Chichester. Go up the stairs opposite Academic Registry. Go right at the end of the stairs, through the door and it is the last office on your left. If Rachael or Sophie are not in, please see another member of staff along the corridor.


Post: Mitigating Circumstances, AQSS, University of Chichester, College Lane, Chichester, West Sussex, PO19 6PE

What if I am not satisfied with the outcome?

Any student aggrieved by the outcome of discussions at the Board of Examiners has the right to appeal against the Board’s decisions, within 21 days of publication of results. Details of the Appeal Regulations are available from Katie Akerman in AQSS or on Moodle under Academic Regulations. For Appeals only: Katie Akerman, Tel: 01243 816469, Email:

Complete the form in full and return it to AQSS with independent documentary evidence (claims cannot be accepted without suitable evidence.)

Please note it is your responsibility to ensure you provide evidence when you submit your claim. You are advised not to rely on a third party e.g. Academic Advisor, Counsellor, GP to forward evidence on to AQSS.  See the FAQs attached to your claim form for examples of appropriate evidence or contact AQSS for advice. 

Students wishing to apply for an extension for assignments should complete this form and return to the relevant Department Administration Office.

If you wish to collect a hard copy you can do so from Academic Registry, your Faculty or Programme Office. You can also collect one from our office (see location in ‘how to find us’), there are usually some forms outside the door in the wall file or we can provide you with one.