Book your Open Day now

Money Advice

Student Money Advice Service

Service Our Student Money Advisers are here to help you with budget planning and money management. If you have any financial worries while you are studying with us you can drop in to see them. Please find more information on our website. You can also find useful information on the Money Advisers’ Moodle pages.

What about cash?

We recommend that you have approximately £350 cash (GBP) with you. Do not carry any more, as it may get lost or stolen. It is a good idea to bring any other money in the form of prepaid travel cards or travellers’ cheques. It is cheaper to exchange them if they are in Pounds Sterling, not US Dollars or any other currency. These can be cashed at airports, “Bureau de Change” offices, Travel Agents and banks. A credit card can also be used.

If you are planning on using a non-UK bank card to withdraw cash in the UK, please contact your bank to make sure you find out whether it is possible and what the charges are.

Can I open a bank account?

It is generally possible for International Students to open a bank account in the UK, although there are some restrictions (e.g. minimum length of stay is 6 months). Opening and running a bank account in the UK can be free of charge, as long as you do not get into debt. Some banks offer International Students accounts, for which there is a monthly charge – ask before you apply.

For more information about how to open an account, please speak to a member of staff at International Student Advisory Service, in Student Support and Wellbeing (

How to apply for a bank account:

You will first need to register onto your course. You will do this at the beginning of your course most likely during the induction week/day.  Once you have registered and chosen which bank you would like to use, you need to fill in our bank account request form (visit International Student Advisory Service Moodle pages). You can expect to receive a “Letter of Introduction” within 2 working days. 

You will receive an email to confirm when your letter is ready for collection from the Support and Information Zone.  In addition to the ‘letter of introduction’ you will also need to take your passport, details of any sponsorship (if applicable) and details of your employer, if you are working.

Visit UKCISA website for more information on opening a bank account in the UK.

What about scholarships?

It is not easy to find scholarships, especially for undergraduate study, and there is a lot of competition for funds.

You are advised to contact the Ministry of Education or Education Department in your own country first, as they may have details of scholarship opportunities for students who want to study abroad.

The British Council also holds information about funding and the cost of living in the UK.

In addition the UK Council for International Student Affairs has a lot of useful information on scholarships and budgeting on their website.

When do I pay my tuition fees?

EU/EEA and British students who have applied for a Student Finance England (SFE) tuition fee loan do not need to pay fees separately to the university as the funds come directly to the University. The same applies to US national students who have applied for a loan from the US department of Education.

International students not in receipt of SFE or US department of Education student loans will be invoiced once the semester has started. You will be able to see your tuition fee amounts due on Chiview (under payments). If you paid a £2000 deposit this will be deducted from your overall tuition fees.

How do I pay my tuition and accommodation fees?

Our online shop can be used to make payments towards your tuition fees before and after you arrive.

In the applicant stage you can also make payments via the applicant and accommodation portals.

Once you have registered onto your course, you can make online payments and set up recurring payment plans via Chiview (your online student account). More information on how to pay your fees can be found here.

Tuition fee loans and cost of living assistance for EU students

Information on how Brexit will impact of EU/EEA students’ fees and funding options in the future please visit the UKCISA website. EU students already studying at the University of Chichester will continue to be considered as ‘home’ fee payers and will continue to receive the tuition fee loan until the end of their studies. EU Students starting their studies in 2019/2020 continue to be eligible for ‘home fee status’.

Tuition fee loan:

EU students on undergraduate and postgraduate courses can apply to the UK government for a Student Loan to cover the cost of their tuition fees. For more information on the eligibility criteria please visit Student Finance England website: undergraduate loans and postgraduate loans

Help with living costs:

EU nationals may be eligible to apply for help with livings costs. In order to qualify you must have lived in the UK for a period of 5 years before the first day of the first academic year of your degree.

For more information, you can visit the UK Council for International Student Affairs or the Student Finance England EU student pages