Explore our Clearing places

Students urged to claim refund on TV licence

STUDENTS moving home for the summer are being reminded to cash in on their unused TV licences.

Those who purchased licences at the start of the academic year will have a full three months remaining and can claim a refund.

To be eligible students must have a TV licence, be leaving their halls or rented accommodation, and be moving to a licensed address.

TV Licensing spokesman Kim Hayman said: “The refund is brilliant news for students and we encourage those who bought their licence at the start of the academic year to take advantage of it.

"Reminding them about the refund is part of knowing when you do and don’t need a licence.”

Licences are needed to watch or record live TV programmes on any channel, or download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer, whether viewing on a laptop, games console, tablet or mobile phone.

Anyone found watching without a licence risks prosecution and a fine of up to £1,000.

To find out more about claiming a refund go to www.tvlicensing.co.uk/studentinfo or call 0300 790 6113.

Find out more about getting a television licence

You need to be covered by a TV Licence to watch or record live TV programmes on any channel, or download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer.

This could be on any device, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box, or DVD/VHS recorder. If you do any of the above without a valid licence you risk prosecution and a maximum penalty of up to £1,000, plus any legal costs and/or compensation you may be ordered to pay. You will also still have to buy a TV Licence if you need one. To find out more go to tvlicensing.co.uk/studentinfo.

How can I buy a TV Licence?

There are lots of different ways to buy a TV Licence. Whether that’s through weekly cash payments, using your nearest PayPoint outlet, spreading the cost with monthly, quarterly or yearly direct debit, credit/debit card or by post, choose the one that suits you best. For more information on the ways to pay go to tvlicensing.co.uk/payinfo

If I live in halls, won’t I already be covered by a TV Licence?

Your room needs to be covered by its own licence if you're plugged in to watch or record programmes as they are being shown on TV or live on an online TV service, or if you download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer. If there are TVs in communal areas check with your halls' manager to see if they’re covered by a halls' licence.

What if I live in a shared house?

You'll probably only need one licence between you if you have a joint tenancy agreement for the whole house – this is the most common type of shared house arrangement. You might need your own licence if your accommodation is self-contained. That means you have exclusive access to washing facilities, or your own entrance to the property. You will also need your own licence if you have a separate tenancy agreement for your own room. If you're not sure, check our advice for tenants and lodgers.

Won't my parents' licence cover me?

Your parents' licence will not cover you while you're away at uni unless you only use a device that's powered solely by its own internal batteries and not connected to the mains.

What if I'm not at uni for the summer?

If you're leaving your halls or rented accommodation and moving back home for the summer, there's a good chance you won't need your TV Licence if there's one at home. You can see our policy and apply for a refund online.

What if I don’t need a licence?

If you don’t need a TV Licence then let TV Licensing know so that they can update their details. They won’t then send you any letters for approximately two years.