How we use your data
Why we collect your data and how we use it
This policy explains what data is collected by both the Alumni Relations and Development Office and the Careers and Employability Service and how it is used.
The University of Chichester as “Data Controller” is providing you with this information so you know what data we hold for you and why, and how we keep your data protected in compliance with data protection legislation.
We collect your contact details, relevant biographical information, information on your interests and career that relate to events and services offered by the University of Chichester, information that relates of Chichester to your charitable donations to the University.
We use the details you have given us to contact you by post, email, social media or telephone about relevant University of Chichester activities or services you have opted in to receive. These may include:
- The sending of alumni, careers and job hunting publications
- The promotion of benefits and services available to students, recent graduates and alumni
- Notification of and distribution of information about events such as employability conferences, careers and employability support, employer events, lectures and reunions
- Notification and facilitation of the establishment of networking groups
- University fundraising and other supporter engagement programmes
- Careers, employability and job hunting information, advice and support
- Volunteering opportunities for you as an individual or ways your company might want to work with us
- Requests to complete relevant surveys
With your consent, data you provided while a student is transferred from the student records system to the alumni and supporter database.
We will also ask you from time to time to update your contact details, communication preferences and interests.
We may take note of your interests from your interaction with University of Chichester social media pages.
We may also use National Change of Address services to identify contact details that are no longer correct.
Your data may be shared with the following groups in order to communicate with you about news and activities that you have opted in to receive:
- University of Chichester academic and administrative departments
- Recognised University of Chichester alumni associates and clubs
- The University of Chichester Students’ Union
- External agents contracted by the University such as mailing houses and software providers
We will not disclose your data without your consent to third parties, except where they are acting as authorised agents for the University for the above purposes or where we are permitted or required to do so in accordance with data protection legislation.
Your information can only be accessed by the University of Chichester Alumni Relations and Development, Careers and Employability staff, our Business Systems Specialists and the administrator of the University’s International Office.
Third parties mentioned above may have access to limited information about you for specific data processing activities, such as your address for sending the alumni newsletter.
We will keep your information only for as long as we need it to provide you with the goods, services, or information you have required, to administer your relationship with the University of Chichester, to comply with the law, or to ensure we do not communicate with you after you have asked us not to.
Where you have asked for rectification or erasure of your data, we will do so as soon as practicably possible but as a maximum within one business day of the Alumni Relations and Development Office or Careers and Employability receiving your request. When we no longer need information we will always dispose of it securely.
The University’s alumni and supporter database, Raiser’s Edge, is hosted in The Netherlands by Blackbaud Inc, a global non-profit software provider, operating under a formal agreement with the University. The University’s careers database TARGETconnect is protected and hosted by GTI in secure London based servers and backed up in an off-site UK based location operating under a formal agreement with the University. The University takes its obligations with your data very seriously and will ensure that all appropriate safeguards and security provisions are in place, and Blackbaud’s and GTI’s compliance with its agreements and privacy notice are monitored.
As our alumni database grows, we may use National Change of Address services to identify contact details that are no longer correct. We may use third parties to carry out list checking on our behalf. We only use trusted third parties with whom we have a contractual agreement.
All of the University of Chichester’s alumni and supporter events are processed through the alumni portal on the University’s website, https://alumni.chi.ac.uk. The portal is supplied by Blackbaud Inc and provided a direct, secure link to the alumni and supporter database. Careers and Employability student and graduate events would be processed through the Careers Portal, https://chi.targetconnect.net/home.html or the University’s website, https://chi.ac.uk.
When donating online or supporting a crowdfunding campaign via the University’s crowdfunding site, lovechichester.chi.ac.uk, you will be directed to the University of Chichester’s secure payment site hosted externally by Blackbaud Inc for debit or credit card donations. The personal information you provide and the amount of your donation will be reported to the University’s Alumni Relations and Development Office and held securely. We will use this information to administer your donation, compile anonymous statistics, and respond to Freedom of Information requests.
Who keeps my information updated?
Alumni Relations and Development Office, University of Chichester, Bishop Otter Campus , Chichester PO19 6PE.
The Alumni Relations and Development staff also update your data.
You are encouraged to update your own information in relation to job hunting preferences and careers choices by logging into the Careers Portal, https://chi.targetconnect.net/home.html, or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
As a data subject, you have rights when it comes to how we handle your Personal Data. These include the rights to:
- Withdraw consent to processing at any time by contacting us via the contact details given above.
- Request access to your personal data that we hold.
- Ask us to erase personal data if it is no longer necessary in relation to the purposes for which it was collected or processed or to rectify inaccurate data or to complete incomplete data.
- Prevent processing that is likely to cause distress to yourself or anyone else.
- Be notified of a Data Breach which is likely to result in high risk to your rights and freedoms.
- In limited circumstances, receive or ask for your personal data to be transferred to a third party in a structured, commonly used and machine readable format.
The University’s Data Protection Officer can be contacted via:-
Email: DPOfficer@chi.ac.uk or
Telephone: 01243 816000