PhD and MPhil Degrees
Undertaking a research degree is an exciting opportunity to determine your own research specialism. By choosing to study with us you will benefit from working with specialists in their respective fields who have national and international reputations.
Areas of Research
Our research areas
We welcome potential postgraduate students in these subject areas:
- Business Studies
- Dance, Theatre and Fine Art
- History and Politics
- English and Creative Writing
- Social Policy
- Sport, Exercise and Physical Education
- Engineering and Design — We are in the process of creating a doctoral profile for this area. Please contact Dr Mohammad Ali Javaheri Javid at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any application enquiries for the department.
About Our Research Degrees
Our projects and academic supervisors
Education Research Degrees
Meet our supervisors and explore our education and teaching projects.
Psychology Research Degrees
Browse our psychology research opportunities and meet our supervisors.
Sport Research Degrees
Discover our research degrees across a range of sport disciplines and explore our projects.
Theatre Research Degrees
Find out what you could research with our Theatre team and meet our supervisors.
Dance Research Degrees
Meet our dance and performance supervisors and find out what you could research with our Dance Department.
Finance and funding
Entry Requirements full MPhil/ PhD registration
What you will need
The standard requirement for an MPhil/PhD is a first or upper-second honours degree and/or usually a relevant Master's degree. Candidates with other qualifications are considered individually on their merits. All students are interviewed by their potential supervisor(s) and a Research Degree Coordinator or nominated other.
Your research project must be 'approved' by the Research Degrees Group 3 months (full time) / 6 months (part time) into candidature.
The Research Degrees Group will take account of the field in which you wish to work, the availability of resources, the nature of the University’s current research strengths, and the particular needs that you may have for specialist facilities.
All projects are considered by two experienced scrutineers who advise on the strengths and weaknesses of the research proposals presented to the Group.
How To Apply
You should review the University's research specialisms before completing a speculative application.
If you are interested in doing a research degree:
- Please complete Section 1 of the Application to Register on a Postgraduate Research Programme Form.
- Email the form to email@example.com.
Your form will be circulated to the appropriate academics so we can identify any supervision options and arrange an interview with you.
You should register for the award you intend to graduate with, either a PhD (Doctor of Philosophy) or an MPhil (Master of Philosophy).
Pre-PhD Preparation Programme
Developing the skills to improve your research
Pre-PhD Preparation Programme
On our Pre-PhD Preparation programme you will attend six tutorials at a low cost to develop your preliminary research plan. You will work towards creating a succinct proposal suitable for an MPhil/PhD Research Programme.
Postgraduate Research Support
Supporting you throughout your degree
Postgraduate research at the University is supported through the Research Office.
The Research Office offers:
- Administration and support for the whole student life-cycle, from initial enquiry to award.
- Induction into research student life.
- Administration of the PGR Travel and Conference fund.
- Coordination and delivery of the Postgraduate Research Training and assistance with access to research training resources and events.
- Administration of the Application for Ethical Approval.
- Training and support to supervisors.
- Coordination of internal and external student surveys for PGR students.
As a member of the student community you are also entitled to other forms of University support including metal health support, the Chaplaincy, disability and academic skills support and specific international student support. As a student you will have access to the University Sports Centre, Students' Union, University accommodation and the Careers and Employability Service.