Book your Open Day now

International Student Health


While you are studying in the UK it is very important that you look after your health. You need to be aware of the resources available to you and how to access them. The University has a Student Health Centre on each campus where you can access information. You can visit the Nurse Health Adviser there if you have any health concerns. Visit our website for opening hours (term time only).

You can contact the Nurse Health Adviser:


Telephone:  01243 816111 Office; 07739 983703 mobile

Take a look at our website


Please inform the nurse if you have pre-existing health problems or take regular medication that you will need during your stay, for example epilepsy, diabetes etc.

The information on this page is available as a booklet from the download section.

National Health Service (NHS) Treatment

For Non EU/EEA Students

To receive any kind of treatment through the National Health Service (NHS) you must either have medical insurance or be registered with a Doctor, usually called a General practitioner or GP. From 6 April 2015 non-EEA students on courses longer than six months are not eligible for free health care in the UK. When you apply for a visa to study in the UK you will be required to pay a fee of £150 (for each year of your stay). This will give you access to the National Health Service (NHS). For more information on the Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) please visit the UK government services and information website. The IHS will meet most health needs, however it may not cover all risks; if you fall sick and want to be transported home or want to have a family member to stay in the UK to look after you, this will not be covered.

If your course lasts less than six months, you must take out medical insurance from a reputable company before leaving Your country. Although emergencies will be dealt with, no other treatment is available to you, unless you have insurance or can pay for the treatment yourself.

You can buy insurance to cover these risks. The University recommends Endsleigh Insurance.

For EU/EEA Students

Students from EU/EEA or countries with a bilateral healthcare agreement with the UK are entitled to free National Health Service [NHS] treatment. You must apply for a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) before leaving home.

How to use your medical insurance for non EU students

If you need to see a doctor during your stay in the UK you may be charged for your consultation. Keep the receipt, and then you can claim back any charges on your medical insurance.

Registering with a Doctor (General Practitioner)

You should register with a doctor as soon as possible after arriving in the UK.   You will need your local Bognor/Chichester address, passport and proof of your status as a student (Student card) and date of entry into the UK.  The Nurse Health Adviser can give you information on registration or you can get a list of local doctors from the Post Office or by contacting the Family Health Services Authority in your area.

The University has an agreement with 3 local surgeries for students to register with the NHS or students can choose a surgery more convenient to their residence.

The University recommends students living on or near Bishop Otter Campus to register at:

Lavant Road Surgery (a map and directions can be downloaded from this page)

8 Lavant Road

Chichester PO19 5RH

01243 527264

The University recommends The Cathedral Medical Surgery, Cawley Road for students living off campus in accommodation at or close to Stockbridge Road, St. Christopher’s, Main Line and Bognor Road.

Cathedral Medical Group (a map and directions can be downloaded from this page)

Cawley Road Chichester, PO19 1XT

01243 813450

The University recommends students living on or near the Bognor Regis Campus to register at:

Bersted Green Surgery (a map and directions can be downloaded from this page)

32 Durston drive

Bognor Regis. PO22 9TD

Reception: 01243 821392

For Appointments: 01243 864843.

If you are staying with a host family it is advisable to discuss with them which doctor they are registered with and visit their doctor’s surgery.

Contacting a General Practitioner Out of Surgery Hours

If you need to see a GP out of surgery hours ring 0300 130 1313 or contact NHS direct on 111 or 0845 4647.

How do you make an appointment with the GP?

Same day appointments are usually made by telephoning the surgery early in the morning. You need to check with your chosen surgery as different systems are in operation. It is usually possible to pre-book appointments for up to 2 weeks in advance, however fewer of these appointments are available.

If you require medication the doctor will give you a written prescription which you will need to take to a pharmacy (chemist)

NHS services fees

Patients usually have to contribute towards NHS costs with prescription fees for medications (currently £7.85) dental fees and opticians fees. You may be able to claim exemption if you have a low income. You will need to complete Form HC1, which is available from the university Health Centre. If you are under 19 years old and in full time education no charges apply for NHS services. There are no charges for seeing a GP for health problems.

Getting the most from your Pharmacist

The Pharmacy (or chemists) is the place to go to have prescriptions made up.  Pharmacists provide a range of services including giving advice on how to treat and recognise minor illnesses and sexual health and contraceptive advice; this could save you a trip to the GP. The pharmacist should be able to tell you if you need to see your GP.  If you need to talk in confidence ask the pharmacist if there is somewhere private where you can talk. You can use any pharmacy you wish.

The pharmacy sells some medication over the counter, which means they can be bought without a prescription. The contents and action of the medicine will be the same as the prescribed medicine but it may be cheaper. Ask your GP if the medicine that has been prescribed for you is available over the counter or ask the pharmacist when you hand your prescription to them. Most pharmacies offer the morning after pill for a charge, following a consultation with the pharmacist.

Medical Emergencies

Anyone who is involved in a life threatening medical emergency should telephone 999; ask for an ambulance and say where you are and what is wrong. The ambulance should take you to the nearest Accident and Emergency department. This service is free but should only be used for emergencies when urgent treatment is needed immediately.

NHS 111 Service

You should use the NHS 111 service if you urgently need medical help or advice but it's not a life-threatening situation.

Call 111 if:

  • you need medical help fast but it's not a 999 emergency
  • you think you need to go to A&E or need another NHS urgent care service
  • you don't know who to call or you don't have a GP to call
  • you need health information or reassurance about what to do next

There is also a confidential interpreter service, which is available in many languages. Simply mention the language you wish to use when the NHS 111 operator answers your call.

NHS Direct

If you are unsure if you need to see a doctor about a particular health problem, at the moment you can contact NHS Direct via a mobile. This service is currently under review and may change in September 2013, however you will automatically be redirected to the NHS 111 service. NHS direct is a 24 hour telephone advice service on 0845 4647 or There is also an interpreter service available. Alternatively speak to the Nurse Health Adviser on campus.

The university Nurse Health Adviser or first aiders can provide support for minor injuries.

If an ambulance is called on campus, please inform SIZ (support and information zone) 6363 and they can direct the ambulance to the precise area to avoid delay.

If you need someone to talk to

Visit the Campus Health Centre and drop in and see the Nurse Health Adviser (see our website for opening times

As Nurse Health Advisers we offer:

  • Confidential support
  • Information on a variety of health-related issues
  • Advice and treatment for minor concerns
  • Information on sexual health, free condoms and Chlamydia screening
  • Sign posting to other professionals, both within and external to, the University
  • Concerns regarding friends, family or other students.
  • Academic issues relating to health and wellbeing
  • Mitigating circumstances.
  • Healthy eating / Eating disorders
  • Self-harm
  • Stress / anxiety / homesickness
  • Bullying
  • Sexual Assault
  • Help to stop smoking
  • Drug and Alcohol support

Nurse Health Adviser 07739 983703


The Samaritans: 116 123 (free) Text phone: 08457 90 91 92

Dental Treatment

If you are eligible for NHS treatment you can receive your dental treatment at a reduced rate. You need to register with a dentist who accepts NHS patients. NHS dentists are extremely difficult to find and it is advisable that you have a check-up and resolve any problems before arriving at University if possible. Generally you will have to pay for a private dentist.  To find a dentist go to  or phone the NHS dental helpline 0300 10000 899

Dental Emergencies

If you have dental trauma and bleeding following an accident it is advisable that you go to the nearest Accident and Emergency unit at the local hospital.  Otherwise contact:

Jubilee Dental Centre

St Richards Hospital, Chichester.

Phone 01243 831 790 after 5.30 for same day appointment.

Open Monday to Friday 5.30pm - 10.00 pm. 

Saturday, Sunday, bank holidays 8.30 am - 1.00pm.

Disability Services

The University of Chichester welcomes students with disabilities and additional learning needs. The disability team provides a range of support services to students with disabilities, continuing health conditions, mental health conditions and specific learning needs.

The disability advisor can provide support and advice to students regarding the impact of their disability at university. If you have a disability or health condition that affects your living accommodation requirements in any way, you must contact the disability service at the earliest possible opportunity.

You must also contact this team if you need any adjustments to your teaching and learning because of a disability or health condition including extra time in exams, adapted teaching materials etc.

Student support is available in New Hall Bishop Otter campus and in the Learning Resource Centre (LRC), Bognor Campus.

If you have any concerns please contact the Disability and Dyslexia Service:

Telephone: 01243 812076. Email: or

Appointments for the Disability Service can be booked through the Support and information Zone (SIZ) desk on both the campuses in the LRC libraries.

International Student Advisory Service

International students may benefit from some additional support while studying in the UK. The International Student Advisers can provide help and support for all International and EU students on a range of issues including finance, fees status, visas, culture, religion, personal problems and more.

Bognor Regis Campus: LRC, Student Support Service

Bishop Otter Campus: New Hall

Contact: 01243-812146, Email:

Visit the SIZ to book an appointment.

Mental Health Advice

Being a student can be very stressful. Whilst there are many positive aspects of student life, there are also many pressures. You need to look after your physical AND mental health so that you are fit to face the challenges presented.

Leaving home and travelling to study in a new country can be an especially stressful experience. Even though it may be something you have planned and prepared for, the extent of the change and the effects it has on you may take you by surprise. If you find that you are feeling stressed by the effects of the change, it might be helpful to realise that your experience is quite normal. This applies whatever country you come from and wherever you are going to study, even though some cultures are more similar than others because of geographic, historic, demographic and other connections.

What should I do if I need help?

Anything that helps you find trusting relationships, gives you a sense that you belong and that you’re valued will improve your mental health and wellbeing. There are lots of different people in the University who can offer you help and support.

UinMind Mental Health Advice Service

The UinMind Mental Health Advice Service aims to empower students to manage their mental health needs in order to achieve their learning potential and get the most out of their university experience.  The service covers both Campuses and is easily accessible and confidential. It includes advice, guidance and information for students concerned about their own or another students’ mental wellbeing.

UinMind support can take various forms, including:

Direct one-to-one support by appointment or phone.

Advice and guidance about medication and mental health conditions

Response to crisis situations / follow up to incidents.

Appointments can be booked at the SIZ or by emailing

UinMind is primarily based in room HC5, Student Health Centre, New Hall, BOC and at BRC in the Student Health Office, Student Support Services block, on the ground floor adjacent to the LRC.

Student Adviser

Our student advisers offers a friendly, helpful and confidential service for all students who need information or help with general enquiries.

They support your experience as a student by listening and advising; offering a range of professional services (including mediation); working with you to increase your sense of wellbeing, and enabling you to develop as a fulfilled and valued member of our University community.

Appointments can be booked at the SIZ or by emailing

Family Planning (Contraception and morning after pill etc.)

Information and advice on all methods of contraception can be obtained from:

Bognor Regis Hospital      Tel:07984 974206 during clinic time

Monday and Wednesdays   17.30 – 19.00 drop-in

Chapel Street Clinic         Tel 01243 623 300

The Chapel Street Clinic, in Chichester, offers contraception services, pregnancy testing and confidential advice to all, through walk in sessions and by appointment.

Monday             13.00 – 15.45         drop in

Tuesday            17.00 -19.00           drop in

Wednesday       09.30 – 11.45         by appointment 

Thursdays         14.30 – 17.00         drop in for ‘young people’

Friday                13.30 – 16.15         drop-in

For clinic venues and opening times please visit their website:  or telephone 0845 111 3456.

Sexual Health

If you are worried during your stay about sexually transmitted infections you can contact the university Nurse Health Advisers or the local genitourinary department at the Fletcher Unit based at St Richards Hospital.

Fletcher Unit, St Richards Hospital

Outpatients, telephone 01243 831 607

Monday:             9am - 11.00am     Walk-in, no appointment needed

                          5pm - 6.30pm       Appointment only

Wednesday:       9am - 11.00am    Walk-in, no appointment needed

Thursday:           9am - 11.30am    Appointment only

                          2pm - 4pm            Walk-in, no appointment needed

Friday:               9am - 11am          Walk-in, no appointment needed

Bognor Regis Hospital:    Telephone 01243 865 418 during clinic time only.

Wednesdays                    15.00 -17.30 appointment only

Chapel Street Clinic, Chichester: Telephone 01243 623300

Monday:            9.00 – 11.00      Drop-ins

                        17.00 – 18.00     Appointment only

Wednesday:      9.00 –11.00        Drop-in

Thursday:          9.00 – 11.30      Appointment only

                        14.00 – 16 00     Drop in

Friday:               9.00 – 11.00      Drop in

Contacts/Useful Telephone Numbers

Bersted Green Surgery, Bognor Regis


(a map and directions can be downloaded from this page)

01243 821392

01243 864843

Bognor Regis War Memorial Hospital

01243 865418

Chapel Street Clinic, Chichester.

(a map and directions can be downloaded from this page)

01243 623300

Disability Coordinator


01243 812076

Fletcher Unit, St Richards Hospital


01243 831607

International Student Adviser


01243 812146

Jubilee Dental Centre

01243 831790

Lavant Road Surgery, Chichester

(a map and directions can be downloaded from this page)

01243 527264


Life Centre

(Charity supporting survivors of rape and sexual abuse)

01243 779196


NHS direct

111 or

08 45 46 47

St Richards Hospital, Chichester

01243 788122

The Samaritans

116 123

Student Health


    Bognor Regis Campus

01243 812122

mob 07739983703

    Bishop Otter Campus

01243 816111

mob 07739983703