Search magnifier
Book Your Open Day

International Exchange


Whether you are considering studying Dance here and want to take either a semester or year out to study abroad, or if you are currently studying at a University who has a partnership with the University of Chichester - engaging in an international exchange study programme enriches and broadens your educational experiences

The Dance Department welcomes students from across the world.  In recent years, students have come from China, Japan, Hong Kong, America, Canada, Israel, Germany, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Italy, Holland, Romania, Greece, Cyprus, Malta, Norway, Sweden, Portugal, Spain and more to study on both our undergraduate and postgraduate dance programmes.

You will be supported with your application process with advice from specialist staff who can help you with details about our Pre-sessional English Language courses, Visa help as well as the audition and application process for the undergraduate and postgraduate programmes. The film above is for students coming from China, but you can find other films about the Dance Department on the main Dance pages or just contact us via email for further information.

Incoming students

Coming to study Dance at the University of Chichester, you will be welcomed into our community of dancers and will be surrounded by creativity and cultural exchange opportunities. The city of Chichester is a beautiful and historic place for you to get to know.  You are also close to the lively cities of Brighton, Portsmouth and Southampton as well as a train journey away from getting into London.

Outgoing students

As an existing Dance student, you have the opportunity to study in a University or Conservatoire with one of our partner institutions in your second year of study.  Students who have undertaken this have found it to be both an amazing experience to broaden their dance horizons but meet new people, undertake further travelling and to immerse themselves in the opportunities that are available as an International student in a partner institution.  Beneath are some photo’s from two students who returned from studying Dance at York University in Toronto as well as a few comments on their experiences.

Where can I study abroad?

The European Union’s Erasmus programme offers students the chance to spend part of their degree abroad in another European country, either to study at a university or on a work placement. 

International exchanges work in the same way, except there is not an additional support grant.

Current opportunities include: 

  • York University in Toronto, Canada
  • University College of Dance in Stockholm, Sweden
  • Theatre Academy of Finland in Helsinki
  • State University of New York in Buffalo
  • Escola Superior de Dança, Lisbon Portugal
  • University of Stravanger, Norway

How does Erasmus work?

An Erasmus/International exchange can last for a minimum of 3 months to a maximum of 12 months, which means students are abroad for either one semester, or one academic year. If spending one semester abroad, students normally travel during their second year of study and swap a semester at Chichester with a semester at the partner institution.

If spending the whole year abroad, students go abroad in their second year of study and then return to Chichester to complete their final year. Whilst abroad, students can either study at a partner university, or complete a work placement. If studying at a partner university, the courses taken will have to be agreed with your tutor before you leave.

You will be required to complete a form detailing which courses you plan to take and the credits each one is worth (you can get this information directly from your host university or the International department at Chichester and have it signed by your tutor at Chichester and, when you arrive in your destination, your tutor at the partner university.

The course credits that you earn whilst abroad will be translated into University of Chichester marks when you return, and will count towards your degree. If you wish, you can combine a work placement and a study period during your time abroad, as long as the total period spent abroad is between 3 and 12 months.

Erasmus Grants and Fees

All Erasmus students are entitled to an Erasmus grant, which is calculated on a pro rata basis, dependant on the number of months you will be spending abroad. Students studying at a partner university do not have to pay any fees to the host institution. If you are abroad for one semester, you will still have to pay fees to the University of Chichester.

However, if you are spending the whole academic year abroad, you will not have to pay any fees to the University of Chichester or your host. Participation in an exchange abroad will not affect your entitlement to a student loan.

Find out more by following Danielle Wake's blog - Suitcases and Studies. Danielle has chosen to spend her second year of the BA (hons) Dance programme at York University in Toronto

Ellie and Tara's experience

‘The exchange to Toronto was the best opportunity we both ever could have asked for. Toronto is an incredible and vibrant city and we are both grateful that we could call it home for a year. In summary, the exchange enabled us to meet amazing people that we can both call friends for life; as well as people that provide connections for future endeavours. As dance students, the exchange allowed us to try new techniques and classes that widened our understanding of contemporary dance, as well as giving us the chance to work with new Professors - that were extremely insightful and inspirational. In addition to exploring Toronto, we both chose to travel further around North America, mainly including the West of Canada and the USA, we found that this adventure was a perfect way to conclude our year abroad’