|Professional Components||Educational School Attachment Visits|
|Lesson planning for content teaching in schools||School attachment experience in British schools|
|English language skills for professional communication purposes|
|Preparation for school attachment experience|
We aim to develop the practical skills in the classroom to enable participants to plan content lessons and to teach them to British Primary and Secondary school students. We will examine the different types of lesson that participants will be required to teach in schools and participants will be expected to become familiar with the content of subjects on the curriculum according to the requirements of the classes they will be teaching.
We will examine the vocabulary and concepts required to teach specific content subjects and provide participants with the necessary support to enable them to do this. In addition, we will examine different ways of managing the classroom environment.
This will involve not only developing their awareness and understanding of the nature of classroom discourse and the importance of language as a medium for both teaching and learning but addressing specific vocabulary and concepts relating to the topics to be taught.
Furthermore participants will explore ways of extending their use of English in the subject classroom, focussing classroom decision making, the classroom as a language environment and ways of giving instructions in English
In addition, we will examine different pedagogic materials and what underpins them in terms of learning styles and cultural assumptions.
This programme aims to:
- To enable participants to design content lesson plans which they will teach in British schools
- To enable participants to analyse, review, develop, design and create materials for classroom use in teaching content lessons in British Primary and or British Secondary Schools
- To enable the participants to become informed, reflective, competent professional teachers of content subjects, able to critically evaluate methods and materials
- To further develop participants’ practical teaching skills
- To enable the participants to become confident teachers in a native-speaker teaching environment
- To introduce participants to general language used in the classroom where English is the medium of instruction and to specific strategies for classroom management in English
- To experience at first hand and take part in typical days in English schools
- To enable the participants to become more confident in their professional use of English in the classroom.
Learning Resource Centre
A range of resources to support you
Our Learning Resources Centre is a whole building dedicated specifically to learning resources, where far from the traditional materials of a library, participants will find resources from and to be used in schools, for every subject and curricular level.
Approaches to Learning
Study in a supportive learning environment
We will use active learning methods, involving practical activities, problem-solving strategies, reflection and developing Critical Thinking strategies. Our programme will examine examples of good pedagogic practice both in the UK and elsewhere.