This programme is designed for international teachers of Mathematics, Science, Physics, Chemistry, Natural Science, History, English, IT, Music and Art.
Teachers will have the opportunity to observe subject lessons and subject teachers in British schools
|Professional Components||Educational Schools Attachment Visits|
|Subject Teaching Pedagogy and the Basis of Subject Teaching Materials||School Attachment Visits to Local Secondary and Primary Schools|
|The Organisation of the Subject Teaching Curriculum|
|Professional Language Development for Teachers|
The programme will focus on the pedagogy in the UK for subject content teaching. The programme will therefore have a twin focus on both the subject area and aspects of teaching and learning.
We will explore contemporary approaches to teaching and learning such as task-based learning, interaction-based learning, discovery learning, motivation, providing feedback to pupils and ways of engaging pupils.
In addition, we will explore materials used in subject teaching and the pedagogic basis of the materials.
This programme aims:
- To focus on notions of teaching and learning in the relevant subject areas
- To examine the pedagogic basis of teaching and learning materials in relevant subject areas
- To develop an understanding of the relationship between materials and methodological considerations
- To examine models of lesson planning used in teaching
- To enable participants to understand the pedagogic basis of materials
- To examine what is meant by “rich” or conceptually-oriented learning resources for teaching and learning and to contrast these with instrumental learning resources
- To explore curriculum issues and ways of providing the best learning opportunities which can transform schools by engaging and motivating learners and teachers;
- To introduce participants to specific strategies for classroom management for the purposes of student learning
- To consider the use of Information Technology in education
- To experience at first hand and take part in typical days in English schools.
Learning Resource Centre
A range of resources to support you
Our Learning Resources Centre is a whole building dedicated specifically to learning resources, where far from the traditional materials of a library, participants will find resources from and to be used in schools, for every subject and curricular level.
Approaches to Learning
Study in a supportive learning environment
We will use active learning methods, involving practical activities, problem-solving strategies, reflection and developing Critical Thinking strategies. Our programme will examine examples of good pedagogic practice both in the UK and elsewhere.