Subject Specific Funding

Some of our programmes offer specific funding options. Each of these subject specific funding opportunities are listed below, so it's definitely worth check to see what is available to your chosen course.

teacher sitting on the floor with primary school class

Gain additional funding depending on your subject

Our current programmes which have subject specific funding include:


PGCE students are usually eligible for standard Student Finance England undergraduate funding, so take a look at the Funding and Advice section.

In addition to the funding that you are entitled to from Student Finance England, you may also be able to get a Teaching Bursary or Scholarship.

How much you can get depends on the specialism of your PGCE and your degree classification (e.g. 2.1 or first class degree at undergraduate level).

Please note that the Support Package / Chichester Bursary is not available to PGCE students.

A physics teacher leading a classroom

Nursing and Physiotherapy

Undergraduate and postgraduate students studying either Nursing or Physiotherapy can apply for the NHS Learning Support Fund.

If you're eligible, you can get access to additional grants to help through your studies.

For more information on what you could receive and the application process, please visit the NHS Learning Support Fund website.

Nursing 0025 21 Nursing Students In Class (27)

Social Work

Undergraduate Social Work students should begin by reading the Funding and Advice section as this funding is available in every year of the course.

However, students may be able to apply for a Social Work Bursary from the NHS Business Services Authority for part of the course (usually year 2 and 3).

No student is guaranteed to get this funding because there are caps on the number of bursaries available.

For students who do not get a bursary, a Placement Travel Allowance is available (in year 2 and 3) to help with the travel expenses incurred when undertaking placements.

Postgraduate Social Work students on the MA Social Work programme may be able to get funding from the NHS Business Services Authority but numbers are capped so financial support is not guaranteed.

If you do qualify, you may be able to get:

  • a contribution towards your Tuition Fee (which would be paid directly to the University)
  • a non-means-tested Basic Grant which includes the Placement Travel Allowance which helps with the cost of travelling to Social Work placements.
  • a means-tested Maintenance Grant
  • dependants’ Grants and Allowances.

Please see the bursary guidance ‘Your guide to Social Work Bursaries’ available from the NHS business Services Authority webpages for how to apply and the deadlines (which are strictly applied).

Our address

For visits

I’m looking for