Home Study International Study Abroad and Exchange Outbound Exchanges Things to Consider While Studying Abroad

Things to Consider When Studying Abroad

Visa and living costs

You will need to apply for a visa. The partner university will be able to provide advice about the type of visa you will need, when you need to apply and the supporting paperwork.

As part of the visa process, you will need to show you have or will have the necessary funds for living costs, from books to food, to medical insurance and accommodation, for the duration of your study abroad.

Each country and sometimes region/state is different depending on the cost of living in that area. For example, New York is one of the most expensive locations whereas Columbus State and Norway are not as expensive.

Here are some examples of necessary funds that you may need for some of our partners:

  • Columbus State University, USA, requires proof of $4,100 per semester.
  • Queens College, New York, USA, requires around $8,000 per semester.
  • University of Northern IOWA, USA, requires $7,100 per semester.
  • Bjorknes College, Norway, requires NOK 57 435 for semester one.

You can use many sources to evidence the funds available, including the Erasmus or Turing living cost grant, your student maintenance loan for that period, your personal funds and support from your parents.

Example for 2021/22 funds for semester one

  • Student maintenance loan, paid September: You may receive from £0 up to £3,131.
  • Turing Scheme Living Cost Grant in America: £1,500.
  • You may need to top this up either with additional support such as disadvantaged student support, personal funds or parental support.


Example for 2021/22 funds for semester two

  • Student maintenance loan, paid January & April: You may receive from £0 up to £6,356.
  • Turing Scheme Living Cost Grant in America: £1,500.


Most of our partner universities will offer accommodation either on or off campus, however with some it is not guaranteed. If this is the case they will provide details of options in the local area.

If you are going abroad for just one semester, you will need to consider what you will do with your accommodation in the UK. For example, if you have an accommodation agreement with a private landlord for the full academic year, will you be able to pay for this accommodation too or will you be able to sub-let your room?

Flights and travel abroad

You will need to consider costs of flights and travel while abroad, as the costs can vary drastically. Remember all students can apply for the Travel Grant through Student Finance and if you are disadvantaged you may be entitled to a travel grant through the Turing Scheme.

Health cover

While travelling and studying abroad you will need to ensure you have sufficient medical insurance and travel insurance. When you apply to the partner university they may automatically enrol you on their own medical insurance or just insist on you having the UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC).

Each destination is different and costs vary. For example, the GHIC can help you get healthcare in Europe at a reduced cost, or sometimes free, whereas for America you will need medical insurance.

Please remember you will be supported by Study Abroad Office at the University of Chichester, so any questions just contact exchange@chi.ac.uk.

Our address

For visits

I’m looking for