Information on outbound exchanges

Why study abroad?

A study abroad placement gives you the opportunity to study at one of our partner universities around the world for one semester or a full academic year as an exchange student.

Most students go on exchange in their second year and sometimes the first semester of their third year.

To find out whether your course offers an exchange opportunity, speak to your exchange tutor, they will be able to recommend exchange partners, let you know when you can go on exchange and for how long.

How does it work?

There are some important steps to consider when thinking about studying abroad:

Contact us

To find out more about the exchange programme or to register your interest, just contact

Exchange Tutors

Find your subject-specific exchange tutor


Name Subject Email
Andy West Sport & Exercise Science
Ben Hall Conservatoire
Cathy Childs Dance 
Hugo Frey Humanities
Dr. Ben Francombe Theatre
Raluca Matei Psychology
Elaine Minett Education
Ellis Bird Adventure Education Work Placement Year
Jorge Gutic Business 
Kirsty Lawie PE and Adventure Education
Rosey Whorlow Creative and Digital Technologies 
Christopher Smethurst Early Years 
Tim Sandys-Renton Fine Art



If you cannot see your subject listed above, please contact

Exchange Destinations

See where you can study abroad

The University of Chichester currently holds a variety of exchange agreements with other partner institutions in Europe and Internationally.

When you apply to study abroad you can choose up to 3 exchange partners that you are interested in.

You will also be able to consider modules (normally called ‘courses’ abroad) from any of their undergraduate degrees rather than just the degree that matches your degree.

The partner university and your exchange tutor will need to approve the modules (courses) you select and this will happen during your application.

Our partners are split between subject-specific and institution-wide options.

Subject-specific partners

These partners offer exchange opportunities for specific subjects.

Insitution-wide partners

Our institution-wide partners allow you to study any undergraduate modules the partner university offers as long as the partner university and exchange tutor are happy with your choices.

You will have to visit the individual institution-wide partner website you are interested in to see if they offer study options relevant for your course and then liaise with your exchange tutor to make sure they are happy to let you proceed.


Please note, not all partner institutions teach in English, so you may need to provide evidence of their language level.

For support and advice please speak to your exchange tutor who can provide guidance on our exchange partners and how to complete your application form.

The application process

How to apply to study abroad

  1. Please complete the outbound exchange application form, your exchange tutor for your faculty can help you complete your application and must sign it.
  2. Send the completed application form to and the International Office can nominate you to your chosen institution(s).
  3. If your nomination is successful you will need to complete the partner institutions application form and provide other required supporting documentation such as a passport photo, a personal statement and your recent transcripts, the international office and exchange tutor can assist you with this.
  4. The partner institution will consider your application and let you know if it is successful.

Nomination and applications deadlines:

Please note, each partner institution has different nomination and application deadlines, which are normally displayed on their outbound exchange webpages.

Typically nominations will take place for semester one or a full academic year in January to May and for semester two can be from August to November, however some partners expect semester two students to apply in January to May.

If you require any support please send an email to or contact the exchange tutor in your department.

At the University of Chichester, we have an international office and exchange tutors for each of our exchange departments.

Should you need support or advice, you can contact your exchange tutor for your department or the international office at, we are happy to support and provide advice.

Our address

I’m looking for