Book an Open Day

Subject-specific funding


PGCE students are usually eligible for standard Student Finance England undergraduate funding, so take a look at the ‘Funding for full-time students’ section.

Some PGCE students did their undergraduate degree under the ‘old’ student funding system and are doing their PGCE under the ‘new’ student funding system that began in September 2012.

When it comes to repayments you will have two repayment plans; people on both plans will make repayments as follows: if your income is between £17,495 and £21,000 you’ll make repayments towards your Repayment Plan 1 loan only.

However, if your income is more than £21,000 your repayments will be spread across your Repayment Plan 1 and 2 loans.

More information can be found on the Student Loans Repayment pages.

Bursaries and scholarships

In addition to the funding that you are entitled to from Student Finance England, you may also be able to get a Teaching Bursary or Scholarship

How much you can get depends on the specialism of your PGCE and your degree classification (e.g. 2.1 or first class degree at undergraduate level). 

Please note that the Support Package / Chichester Bursary is not available to PGCE students.

How and when do I apply for the bursary?

You do not need to apply for the Bursary. At some point in the application process (it varies depending on your circumstances), you will be asked to provide proof of your qualifications.

The University uses this to determine your eligibility for the PGCE course itself and your eligibility for the Teaching Bursary. We will do all the administration; all you have to do is provide your bank details online.

You will be sent the information on how to provide your bank details around the time that you start your course.

If you are eligible for a Bursary of up to £12,000 then you will receive this in ten monthly instalments from October to July.

If you are eligible for a Bursary of £15,000 or more, or the £25,000 Scholarship then you will also be paid in ten instalments between October and July.

You won’t receive written notification of your entitlement.


The Humanistic Counselling Diploma/Degree is a part-time course so you should begin by looking at the Funding from Student Finance England for part-time students section which provides information about the Tuition Fee Loan which is available to help pay for the course. 

Humanistic Counselling students are not liable for Council Tax and information on this will be provided when you start your course.

You will not be able to apply for funding to help pay for the counselling or the travel to placements which are a mandatory part of the course. 

However, we recommend looking at our Money Matters page for information about our University Support Fund as you may be able to get a contribution towards these expenses.


Undergraduate Social Work students should begin by reading the Funding from Student Finance England for full-time students section as this funding is available in every year of the course. 

However, students may be able to apply for a Social Work Bursary from the NHS Business Services Authority for part of the course (usually year 2 and 3). 

No student is guaranteed to get this funding because there are caps on the number of bursaries available. 

For students who do not get a bursary, a Placement Travel Allowance is available (in year 2 and 3) to help with the travel expenses incurred when undertaking placements. 

In 2019x20 the PTA is £862.50.

Postgraduate Social Work students on the MA Social Work programme may be able to get funding from the NHS Business Services Authority but numbers are capped so financial support is not guaranteed. 

If you do qualify, you may be able to get:

  • a contribution towards your Tuition Fee (which would be paid directly to the University)
  • a non-means-tested Basic Grant which includes the Placement Travel Allowance which helps with the cost of travelling to Social Work placements.
  • a means-tested Maintenance Grant
  • dependants’ Grants and Allowances.

Please see the bursary guidance ‘Your guide to Social Work Bursaries’ available from the NHS business Services Authority webpages for how to apply and the deadlines (which are strictly applied).