Virtual Open Day

Working while studying

Who can I talk to about finding work in the UK?   

The Careers and Employability Team can help with finding work or postgraduate study, developing connections and skills, going freelance or starting a business. We’ll assist with searching for jobs, choosing a career, completing and sharpening an application form or CV.  
Whether you’re seeking part time work, are interested in volunteering or looking to brush up your skillset, our Careers and Employability team have all the resources you need. Visit us at the Careers Centre in Chichester, at the Careers Desk in Bognor Regis and look out for our events on campus.  

Careers guidance 

Professionally trained Careers Consultants can discuss any aspect of your career decisions, and work with you to understand your ideas and develop your skills to help you plan for your future.  

Job hunting support

Our south coast location makes it ideal to find work, either full or part-time and we have the connections to help you. Our job-hunting service provides:  

  • Finding part-time work and placements  
  • Checking and updating your CV  
  • Searching for graduate roles and schemes  
  • Booking a Careers Guidance appointment  

Whether you know exactly what you’d like to do after university, or really don’t know where to start, we are here to help you. For more information, please visit the Careers and Employability webpages.  

Can I work while I am a student?

EU/EEA + Swiss nationals and family members  

If you are in the UK by 31st December 2020, you will not face any restrictions on your right to reside, work, study or access health care in the UK. In order to keep these rights an application under the EU settlement scheme must be made.   

If you arrive in the UK after 31st December 2020, you will need to apply for an immigration permission and we assume that the permission will include work restrictions similar Tier 4 visa holders. For more information on this visa route please visit the UK Visas and Immigration website.  

Tier 4 (General) visa holders  

Tier 4 students studying at degree level or above can work up to 20 hours per week during term-time and full-time during vacations.  

Tier 4 Students on courses below degree level (e.g. Pre-Sessional course) can work up to 10 hours per week during term-time and full-time during vacations.  

If you have been issued a CAS for a part-time degree at level RQF 7 or above, you are not allowed to work, volunteer or take part in work placements.  

There are some restrictions in terms of what kind of work you can do as a Tier 4 student. Please check our website for more information on Tier 4 visa and employment.   

Others, e.g. PBS dependants, ILR, Short-term students, etc…  

Your vignette/ Biometric Residence Permit will tell you if you are allowed to work or not.   

If you are a dependant of a Tier 4 students who studying at the University of Chichester, you are allowed to work.   

If you are in the UK on a short-term study visa, you are not allowed to work, volunteer or take part in work placements.   

What is the minimum wage in the UK?

The hourly rate for the minimum wage depends on your age. You can see the regulations and current minimum wage rates on the UK government website.   

How do I apply for a National Insurance Number?

Your National Insurance (NI) number is your own personal account number. It is unique to you and you keep the same one all your life. It makes sure that the NI contributions and tax you pay are properly recorded against your name.   

Every person who works in the UK is assessed for the amount of NI they have to pay. The amount depends on how much you earn. If you are an international student and you have the right to work in the UK you will need a National Insurance number so that you can be assessed correctly.  

The NI number application is simple. You need to call the National Insurance Number helpline once you are in the UK. They will ask you some questions about your personal circumstances and you will either be invited to an interview or you will be asked to post some documents to verify your identity. If you need any help with this the International Student Advisers can assist you.  

What about Income Tax?

Income tax is deducted from your pay by your employer. Each employee has a personal allowance which tells you how much you can earn before paying tax. If your earnings are below your personal allowance then you do not pay any tax.  For more information on income tax please visit the UK government website . UKCISA also has a lot of useful information on tax and NI.   

Can I work in the UK after my studies?

EU/EEA and Swiss students (and family members) who have applied for a pre-settled or settled status can continue to live and work in the UK without restrictions. If you arrive in the UK after 31st December 2020, you will need a permission to work. Information regarding this will be available on the UK Visas and Immigration website in due course.   

If you are a Tier 4 student you can have a look at the following options for staying in the UK to work:  

There may be other immigration routes available to your depending on your circumstances. You can contact the International Student Advisers for more information.  

We can also refer you to an external immigration adviser in the local area. For more information on working after your studies please visit the UKCISA website.