Home Study International Visa and Immigration Protect your Student Route Visa

Protect your Student Route Visa

The duties of a student on a student route visa

Students holding a student visa are required by law to fulfil certain criteria and have specific duties:

  • Provide the University with a copy of your current passport and visa/Biometric Residence Permit. Every time you get a new passport or a visa you must provide copies to the University. Without this (or proof that our CAS has been used to apply for a visa) you will not be able to register on your programme.
  • Register/re-register on your programme three times a year.
  • Keep the University updated with your UK contact details (address, email, telephone number).  You will be able to do this via our student portal, Chiview.
  • Keep the University updated if you decide to change your course, withdraw or suspend your studies via the appropriate University processes.
  • Study whilst you are in the UK, ensuring that you meet the progression and attendance requirements for your course with no unauthorised absences.
  • Ensure you do not breach the conditions of your visa:
    • Do not work more hours than you should. Students studying at degree level or above are allowed to work 20 h/week during term time and full time during vacations. Students studying at below degree level are allowed to work 10 h/ week during term time and full time during vacations.
    • Do not claim public funds. This means that you cannot claim certain welfare benefits and local authority housing.
  • Report any change of circumstance to the Home Office. Changes you should report are as follows:
    • Changes to your personal details
    • Criminal convictions that you have not previously told the Home Office about
    • Changes in your contact details
    • Changes in your family members’ details, if they are in the UK as your dependants and
    • Any other information you think the Home Office should know,

The University also has specific duties in relation to students on Student Visas that they are required by law to fulfill:

  • We are obliged to report to the Home Office any student who either does not enroll or who misses 10 expected contacts with tutors or in class.
  • We also have to report any student who defers or leaves a course, or if we stop being the student’s sponsor. Full details are available from the International Advisory Service.

Therefore, it is important that students on Student Visas enroll promptly, attend classes on a regular basis and keep both the Home Office and the University informed of any changes.

For further information, please refer to our 'How to protect your Student Route visa Status' document or visit the Home Office and UKCISA websites.

If you have any questions regarding any of the above points you are welcome to contact the International Student Advisory Service at the University.


Our address

For visits

I’m looking for