Book your Open Day now

Federal Student Aid - US Applicants

We participate in the William D Ford Federal Direct Loan Programme

If you or your programme of choice is not eligible for the Direct Loan programme you can look at funding your studies privately. The Smart option Loan provided by Sallie Mae is the only private loan currently available to US students studying at the University of Chichester. 

These pages have information on Direct Loans available for students from the United States who wish to study at the University of Chichester. We do not cover other loans and grants such as the Pell Grant, as they are not available to students studying in Foreign Schools. 

Contact us

Paivi Leivo and Jane Smith
International Student Advisory Service (ISAS)

​Bognor Regis Campus, Upper Bognor Road, Bognor Regis, PO20 1HR, UK
+ 44 (0) 1243 812146

The above team can also advise you on Tier 4 (General) visa eligibility and the application process. Please do not arrange for your Tier 4 visa appointment until we have confirmed your loan amounts in writing. 


In order to apply for funding, you must meet the eligibility criteria set by the US Department of Education

You are required to be enrolled at least half-time at the University of Chichester; study on an eligible, degree-bearing course; make satisfactory progress (SAP); and undertake your study in the UK.

Eligible courses:

  • Degree (undegraduate and postgraduate)
  • PhD (see below for PhD related restrictions)

Study Abroad students

Students are only allowed to study abroad at other institutions that are Title IV eligible. Students are not allowed to study abroad in the US.


We are unable to offer federal loans to students on certain ineligible courses. Ineligible courses include courses that are less than half-time, are not degree-bearing and courses with online or distance learning elements. You are also not able to study on non-degree programmes e.g. CertHE or take part in study abroad programmes.

Please note that students are not eligible for Direct loan funds if their study includes periods of study or research in the U.S.A.

PhD students may make themselves or the course they are studying on ineligible in these circumstances: Under §600.52, a foreign institution may not permit students to enroll in any course offered by the foreign institution that takes place in the United States, including research, work, internship, externship, or special studies. Despite this prohibition, independent research done by an individual student in the United States for not more than one academic year is permissible if it is conducted during the dissertation phase of a doctoral program under the guidance of faculty and the research can only be performed in the United States. (Additional guidance on the Title IV program ineligibility of foreign institution programs offered in the U.S. can be found in Dear Colleague Letter GEN-11-18.) Source:

If you are a PhD student and are planning to spend any time during your studies in the United States, please make sure you contact the financial aid administrators to determine whether your plans impact on your loan eligibility.

If your course is ineligible, you can look into Sallie Mae loan (Private Loan). Please see further information below.


The principle funding available to US students studying at the University of Chichester is the Federal Direct Loan.

For more information on the direct loan please visit the US Department of Education website.

The direct loan is available to cover the primary costs of education (tuition, student accommodation, books/supplies and commuter travel) and is available to both undergraduate and postgraduate students.  

You should plan a budget for your studies (cost of attendance) and you should only borrow what you need.  

The full terms and conditions of taking out and repaying a loan can be found here.


Federal Direct Stafford Loan

The Federal Direct Stafford loan is made up of two parts -  subsidised and unsubsidised, which have fixed limits depending on your status (dependent, independent or postgraduate). These may be topped up to the full cost of attendance (COA) with a PLUS loan, which is not an entitlement, but subject to credit checking and may be declined by the US Department of Education.


This loan is assessed on financial need. No interest is accrued while you are in school at least half-time, during the grace period and during deferment periods. Afterwards these costs will revert to being your responsibility. The figures may change, so you need to check interest rates when applying for your loan(s).


This loan is not based on financial need. Interest is accrued during the period of study and during the grade and deferment periods. No payments are required while you are enrolled at least for half-time. These costs are your responsibility and figures may change, so you need to check interest rates when applying for your loan(s).

Dependent student (aged 24 and under) aggregate limit $31,000

Year of course Subsidised  Unsubsidised Maximum Loan 
Year 1 USD 3,500.00 USD 2,000.00 USD 5,500.00
Year 2  USD 4,500.00 USD 2,000.00 USD 6,500.00
Year 3 and beyond USD 5,500.00 USD 2,000.00 USD 7,500.00


Independent students (aged over 24 24 or those whose parents are unable to obtain a parent PLUS loan) - aggregate limit $57,500

Year of course Subsidised  Unsubsidised Maximum Loan 
Year 1 USD 3,500.00 USD 6,000.00 USD 9,500.00
Year 2  USD 4,500.00 USD 6,000.00 USD 10,500.00
Year 3 and beyond USD 5,500.00 USD 7,000.00 USD 12,500.00


Postgraduate students Maximum
All years USD 20,500.00


Dependent student: less than 24 years old, unmarried, without any legal dependents 

Independent student: at least 24 years old, or married, or postgraduate, a Veteran, a member of the Armed Forces, an orphan, a ward of court or having legal dependents other than a spouse

Aggregate limit: the maximum amount of Stafford Loans you can receive in your life time 

The direct subsidised and unsubsidised loans are not enough to pay the full cost of your tuition fees.

You may need to consider how to pay the outstanding balance of your fees and living expenses.  You can make up the difference with your own funds or a federal direct plus loan.

Find out more on the US Department of Education website. 

Direct Graduate Plus Loan

This loan is available to graduate/professional students. This loan helps to pay the cost of education up to the cost of attendance minus all other financial aid. Interest is accrued during the period of study.

The applicant needs to complete a separate MPN + credit check in order to qualify for this loan.

Direct Parent Plus Loan

This loan is available to the parents of dependent students.

This loan helps to pay the cost of education up to the cost of attendance minus all other financial aid. Interest is accrued during the period of study and in order to qualify the parent needs to complete a MPN and provide evidence of successful credit check.

Other charges: The US education department charge an origination fee on all loans and this is deducted from each disbursement. 

Loan type Origination fee
Subsidised 1.068%
Unsubsidised 1.068%
Direct Plus Loan 4.272%

The limit for receipt of direct loans:

There is a maximum period of time that you can receive Direct Subsidised Loans if you are a first-time borrower.

You cannot receive Direct Subsidised Loans for more than 150% of the published length of your programme. 



1. Complete your FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) application form & apply for a PIN.

Completing your FAFSA application will generate a Student Aid Report (SAR) document, which we need in order to check your eligibility for a loan. Please keep the SAR for your records. You will be asked for our school code, which is: G36943.  Get help on completing your FAFSA.

Check and update your FAFSA if necessary and make sure that it includes your expected family contribution (EFC) and the details of any previous Federal loans you have taken out. You should also make sure that you are registered with Selective Service (males only) unless exempt.   If any details are missing or if there are comments stating that further information is required, please make any necessary corrections and re-submit your application.

You can submit your FAFSA from January, but we won’t be able to process your application until you have unconditional offer from the University. However, we can issue you an award letter to indicate what you would be eligible for at any point after you have submitted your application.

You will need to email us to confirm that you wish to apply for a loan so that we can send you the award letter.

2. How much can you borrow?

Once we receive your email we will send you your estimated cost of attendance (COA) and a loan recommendation. You can use our loan recommendation to decide how much you need to borrow from each type of loan you are eligible for

The COA is made up of tuition fees and living expenses as determined by the University. This, along with other factors, such as your aggregate loan limit, dependency status and your estimated family contribution determine the amount you will be able to borrow for the academic year.

Estimated living costs at University of Chichester  (undergraduate students 36 weeks per year including vacation periods).  

You may wish to borrow less than the estimated figures. If you wish to borrow more, please contact the US loans team to discuss your options.

Description Per week 
Room rent £100.00
Board, food and power £80.00
Books and copying £15.00
Travel £20.00
Personal £60.00
Flights (2 return flights per year) £2,000.00

Visa applications and travel to visa application centre/ interviews

First year students 


NHS immigration surcharge (£450 to cover three years)

First year students


PC/laptop and printer  (£500 per year)

First year students

Tuition Fees Check your tuition fees

Loan origination Fees.

The US department deducts an “origination fee” at source, which reduces the net amount that the University will receive on your behalf. You may choose to add/include this fee in your COA so that the net amount represents what you wish you borrow.

Full cost depending on loan amount

These figures are estimates and are used as your Cost of Attendance on your loan application. You cannot borrow more than what we estimate as your COA.  

Please note that we must deduct any other Financial Aid and the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) when calculating your COA. It is your responsibility to let us know your EFC and other funding e.g. scholarships you are in receipt of.

3. Entrance counselling

As a first time borrower you will need to complete an online loan entrance counselling session before the loan can be disbursed. This session will help you understand your rights and responsibilities as a loan borrower and gives you tools to assist you with managing your loan.

For a plus loan you will need to complete a plus loan counselling. We will need a screenshot of the last page of your online counselling form.

Once you complete your degree with us you will be required to carry out a loan exit counselling.  

4. Master Promissory Notes (MPN) and Plus Credit Check

You will need to complete a MPN annually before the loan funds can be disbursed. You will need to E-sign your federal direct loan MPN on the student loans website using your Federal Student Aid PIN. After you sign in, choose complete MPN and then select subsidized/unsubsidized. Follow the four step process listed on the student loans website.

For a graduate plus loan or parent plus loan a separate MPN is required. A Plus loan is also subject to a credit check. We will need copies of the MPN(s) and a screenshot of the credit check ‘acceptance’ message if applicable. Please note that credit checks remain valid for 3 months, so don't do it too early in the year.

5. Email your loan application to the University of Chichester


Subject: USL, Surname, First name, Student/applicant number

Please sign and return the award recommendation letter and with a copy of your MPN for your loan(s), SAR, a screenshot /PDF confirmation of your entrance counselling completion page. In addition, if you have applied for a Plus loan, you will need to send us evidence of your credit check (or your parent’s credit check) to prove that you have been “accepted”.

We will also need your parent’s consent to pay the PLUS loan funds directly to you. For this you will need to return a consent form, which will be emailed to you once we receive your forms.

6. What happens next?

Once we have received the documents listed above, we will check and confirm your eligibility for direct loans. We will send you an email confirming the details of your loans including the amounts and disbursement dates. If you need a UK study visa, we will issue you with a letter confirming the loan amounts.

You will receive your loans once you have arrived at the University and completed your registration. The loans are paid directly to the University and is disbursed in two or three instalments depending on the type of course you are on. Please see the disbursement section below for more information.

We receive your loans from the U.S. and convert this into GBP pound Sterling. We will then deduct the fees for tuition (50%) and halls of residence (50%) and transfer any excess funds into your UK bank account within 14 days of the disbursement date.

To receive the excess funds you will need to open a UK bank account as soon as you have registered onto your course.  Please contact the International Student Advisory Service to request a bank account letter.  

As the disbursement process will take some time, so we recommend that you bring enough money to cover at least first 6 weeks of your stay in the UK.  Please note that if you are a first time borrower your loan disbursement will take place 30 days after you have registered onto your course.

Each loan disbursement is subject to you maintaining satisfactory academic progress and there are no changes to your status. Please see our Satisfactory Academic Progress policy under ‘Important Information’ below.

You have the right to cancel all or part of your loan.  This can be done by emailing the International Student Advisory team 14 before the disbursement date listed on your notification letter.

7.  Re-apply for your loan every year

You will need to apply for direct loan funding separately for each year of your study. Please note that this is not administered by us automatically. You will need to provide a new Student Aid Report (SAR) and new MPN(s) and credit checks (if applicable) for each year of your study.

8. Exit Counselling

Once you are approaching the end of your studies with us, you will need to complete exit counselling. You should do this via the Student Loans website

Please email us your exit counselling completion confirmation as a PDF before your final loan disbursement (at the beginning of your final semester with us). This is a formal requirement and the purpose is to ensure you are aware of the obligations with regards to your loan repayments.

How to Apply for a Private Loan (Sallie Mae)

We advise that you investigate US federal loans before applying for a US private student loan, as federal loans are often cheaper and most American students are eligible for them. US private student loans do not enable you to borrow more funds than US federal loans. 

The University will certify loan request from Sallie Mae, which is currently the only US lender willing to lend to students studying at foreign school.

Please contact the International Student Advisory Service for a Cost of Attendance (COA) figure before contacting Sallie Mae to apply for your loan.

Once you have your e-signed Promissory Note you should forward it to the International Student Advisory Service who will liaise with Sallie Mae regarding the origination.

Sallie Mae will typically send us a cheque which is endorsed by the University. We will post the cheque to you to be endorsed before you can pay it your local bank. Alternatively, we can ask for the cheque to be sent directly to your home address.

Once the money has cleared you are responsible for making payments due to the University.

To find out more options please visit Global Educational Management Services.


Please note that we will confirm the exact dates to you in your loan confirmation letter. 


Undergraduate students: Masters Students: PhD Students: Sallie Mae borrowers:
September 2018

January 2019
September 2018

January 2019

April 2019

October 2018

January 2019

Your loan will be paid in one lump sum. The date will be specified in your loan confirmation letter.


Undergraduate students: Masters Students: PhD Students: Sallie Mae borrowers:

New students

4th October 2019 

Continuing students:

20th September 2019

31 January 2020

20 September 2019

31 January 2020

1  May  2020
11 October 2019 (depending on start date)

31 January 2020

1  May  2020
Your loan will be paid in one lump sum. The date will be specified in your loan confirmation letter.

You must be registered onto your course before you can receive your funds.  The above dates indicate when we receive the funds from the U.S. Within three working days we will deduct any tuition fees and accommodation fees (if applicable) and transfer any surplus to your bank account within 14 days. You should ensure that you have sufficient funds from an alternative source to cover any costs until you receive your first disbursement. 

If you are a first time borrower, your loan will be disbursed 30 days after enrolling at the University.

Please find our course & semester dates here.

Withdrawal/Suspension of Studies

We are required to report any changes to your enrolment within tight timescales and, if necessary, to complete a Return to Title IV (R2T4) calculation and arrange for any 'unearned' loan funds to be returned to the US Department of Education.  For more information please see our 'Return of Title IV funds' policy under the important information section. 

Consumer Information

The US government requires institutions which offer federal student loans to disclose the following consumer information.

University of Chichester Consumer Disclosure information 2018.