Virtual Open Day

Accommodation Advice for International Students

When and how do I apply for halls of residence accommodation?

If you are an undergraduate or a postgraduate student and have accepted the study offer at the University of Chichester you will receive an email around May to tell you how to apply for university accommodation via the accommodation portal. Check the accommodation page for more information on the application process.  

As an international degree student you are guaranteed a room in the halls of residence, as long as you submit your accommodation application by 1st August and you firmly accept your place at the University. 

If you are due to start your studies in January or if you are an exchange or study abroad student, you should email our accommodation team directly to enquire about the application process. ( 

The different types of Accommodation

  • Up-to-date information on the accommodation options can be found on our Accommodation page.

Halls of residence on campus (university accommodation)  

Each student has a study bedroom with a single bed, desk and wardrobe space. Some rooms have their own toilet/shower room (en-suite). Standard rooms have washing and toilet facilities along the corridor. Living in halls of residence during term-time can be fun if you want to integrate with other students. Please be aware, however, that since the accommodation is shared blocks with other students, it is not always quiet. Most halls of residence are catered, which means that you have a daily credit of around £8 a day (Monday to Friday) and £4 a day (Saturday and Sunday) to spend in the restaurants and cafes at both campuses. Small kitchens are available for making drinks and snacks. Bishop Otter Campus has some accommodation options with self-catering (e.g. Stockbridge & Fishbourne, Havenstoke). Every room comes with internet connection and you can connect to the University Wi-Fi (eduroam) on campus.  

Cost: approx. £118.23 - £177.17 per week.   

The contract must be signed for the full academic year. However, exchange students staying for one semester are able to sign a contract to cover a shorter period.  

Information on the accommodation options can be found on our Accommodation page


Renting privately  

Private home   

Living in a private home means that you live in somebody’s home but on a more independent basis. This option is mainly available in the Bognor Regis area with a very limited availability in Chichester. This is usually under a self-catering arrangement which means you would be given access to the kitchen to prepare your own meals.   

Cost: approx. £80-£110 per week without meals.   

Shared housing  

Another option for off-campus accommodation is living in a shared house with other students.   

We have a dedicated website that allows you to look for university-accredited private accommodation in Chichester and Bognor Regis.  Our Private Sector Housing Officer can provide advice on housing and accessing this website. You need to contact the owner yourself and make your own arrangements with them. Normally, you would have to sign a 12-month contract and will be required to provide a UK-based guarantor. Usually, you would share the house with other students and be responsible for your own bills. However, some landlords will include the bills in the rent.  The University cannot accept any responsibility for any legal contracts you enter into, so be careful before signing any agreements with private landlords and seek advice if you have any queries.   

Cost: approx. £70 to £110 per week (plus bills) for a single room in a shared house.   

For advice on finding a private home or shared housing, please contact the Accommodation Office .  


Halls of Residence: points to think about


Make sure you check the contract dates. Your contract length might be different to the semester length. Halls of residence contracts are normally 37 weeks long. You should also carefully read the terms and conditions and if you have any questions speak to the accommodation office. 

Earlier arrival 

The accommodation portal, which is used to apply for halls of residence accommodation, has set dates for arrival and these align with the standard semester pattern. International students should attend the orientation event, which takes place a couple of days before the standard semester start date. Once you have completed your accommodation application, you should email the accommodation team to ask that you room is made available earlier so that you can attend the orientation event. The accommodation team would be happy to help you to let you arrive early and help you with the arrangements. 


We recommend that you arrive at the University during the official arrivals weekend or on a working day (Monday – Friday) during normal office hours (8.30 am -5pm). If this is not possible, make sure you contact the accommodation team to let them know what time you are due to arrive, so that they can advise you on how to get your key from the security team on campus. If you arrive late at night, it might be good to be prepared with some food and snacks as the shops in Chichester are not open 24/7 and often close at 4pm on Sundays. 

Free bedding packs 

Students from outside the UK get a free bedding pack, which includes pillows, a duvet, sheets, pillowcases, a duvet cover and towels. Contact the accommodation team to request a pack for your room. 

Finding accommodation after your first year in the halls of residence 

It is normally possible to apply to stay in the halls of residence during your second and third year. Sometimes it is possible to stay in halls over the summer months as well, but you may have to move to a different location temporarily. Please speak to the accommodation team about these options.  

Private renting: points to think about

The Studentpad website allows you to look for university-accredited private accommodation off-campus. If you decide to rent a property that has not been advertised on the studentpad website, the university won’t be able to help you if you have any issues with your landlord or the property. 

Contract length 

It is good to be aware that if you decide to live in a privately rented accommodation, you may have to sign a contract for 12 month e.g. from September to September and once you have signed the contract it is not easy to make changes or leave earlier. 


We recommend that you try to live locally - near Bognor Regis or Chichester campus to make it easier for you to access the University services and for us to be able to support you. If you have to rely on trains or buses to travel to the University from other cities, it can lead to issues with punctuality and attendance. Trains are often delayed and traffic can be an issue if travelling by bus. 


You will need to pay some money in advance in form of a deposit (often 1 month’s rent), which the landlord must keep in a secure place until your contract ends. Check your contract to see in what circumstances your landlord might be allowed to use your deposit to pay for any damages or extra costs incurred during your tenancy. 

UK-based Guarantor 

Private landlords often require you to have a UK-based guarantor. This is to make sure that if you experience financial difficulties and fail to pay your rent, there is someone who can pay the rent instead. It is most likely that you do not have a UK-based guarantor if you are coming to study from abroad. For this reason, it might be preferable to stay in University accommodation. If you are in your second or third year of studies, you can contact the accommodation team to find out about the university’s guarantor scheme. 

Bills & Council Tax 

You will also be liable for water, gas, electricity and internet bills in addition to your monthly rent. If you are a full-time student living with other students, you won’t have to pay council tax. However, you must make sure you contact the council to inform them that you are a student. This can be done online for Bognor & Chichester based students. If you live outside these areas, you can request a council tax exemption letter via Chiview. 

Right to rent checks 

Landlords are by law required to check that you have the right to be in the UK, so you should be prepared to show your passport, ID card and/or your visa. The landlord may also ask for a letter from the university to prove your student status. You can print a letter via Chiview once you have registered onto your course. 


Pre-sessional students

If you are coming to the university on a pre-sessional course in June or August you should see our pre-sessional accommodation information for full details on your options.

Students on international short courses

You may not be able to choose your own accommodation. Your course organiser will decide what type of accommodation you will get.  Sometimes this can be halls of residence accommodation and sometimes homestay accommodation