Book an Open Day

Funding for full-time students


Eligible students are able to get a Tuition Fee Loan from the government which helps to pay the course fee.  This is available to students studying an undergraduate degree or Foundation Degree. 

You can request a loan which covers the whole of the fee or just part of the fee.  You will need to apply for a Tuition Fee Loan each year of your course. 

The Tuition Fee Loan is paid directly from the Student Loans Company to the University.


It is also possible to get a maintenance loan which helps with the cost of living (e.g. rent, food, course materials, etc).  How much you can get depends on your circumstances (e.g. household income) and whether you choose to live in the parental home. 

Students from lower income households receive more financial support.  You can get an idea of how much support is available to you using the student finance calculator.

The maintenance loan is paid to the student in three instalments in the academic year:

  • September: about a week after registering on your course
  • January: when you return from the Christmas / winter holiday
  • April: when you return from the Easter / spring holiday


Extra funds – which don’t have to be repaid – might be available if you have dependents.

The Adult Dependants’ Grant is for students who have a spouse (or partner if you are over 25) who is financially dependent on them. 

The Childcare Grant is funding specifically for childcare expenses incurred whilst studying, and the Parents’ Learning Allowance helps student parents to pay for course expenses such as books, study materials and travel costs.  

All the grants are means-tested (based on household income).  


We recommend first checking your eligibility for funding using the ‘Eligibility’ link

If you have any concerns about your eligibility, contact the Student Finance England helpline on 0300 100 0607.  Monday – Friday 8am to 8pm and Saturday and Sunday 9am to 4pm. 

New students are advised to apply by 31 May in the year that they are starting (e.g. 31 May 2020 if you are due to start in September 2020). 

However, it is possible to apply after this date but your funding might not be ready for the start of the course.   

The quickest and easiest way to apply is online.


  • When you create a new account, make sure you make a note of your customer reference number, password and secret answer and keep this information safe. 
  • You will need your valid UK passport, your national insurance number, your bank details and your course details to complete an application.
  • Do not wait until you know for certain which university you are going to.  Apply as early as possible and provide the details of your first choice university and course.  It is simple to change this information later if necessary.
  • If you do not receive a letter from Student Finance England three months after applying, log-in to your account and/or give them a call on their helpline to get an update.
  • If your household income has decreased since the financial year that Student Finance England are assessing, you still need to complete the standard forms as usual.  However, once that’s done, you can request to have your finance assessed based on the current financial year.  
  • If you are estranged from your parents, you can apply as an independent student. Don’t hesitate to contact the Student Money Advice Service for support if needed.


Once you finish your course, the Tuition Fee Loan and the Maintenance Loan is treated as one ‘student loan’.  You will need to start making repayments on the money you have borrowed once you have finished your course and you are earning above a certain amount.

If you are employed, your employer will deduct the payments from your salary automatically (from the April after you graduate). 

Find out about repaying your student loan on the website.